Every once and a while somebody comes into your life and plants seeds that continue to grow for years to come. And so it’s been with Gabrielle Bernstein. I met Gabrielle or Gabby, as much of the world including Oprah (who recently interviewed her) now knows her, back in 2008 in New York City when we were paired together through the Step Up Women Network’s mentoring program. I had just begun work on the book proposal for what would eventually become 90 Days 90 Ways, and Gabby had just sold her first book, which has gone on to be a #1 bestseller, Add More ~Ing to Your Life. When we first met, I’m not going to lie, I was a bit skeptical. I wanted to like Gabby – her impeccable style, incessant positivity, and unbridled ambition mirrored who and what I aspired to be. But I couldn’t help wondering, “Is she the real deal? Or is she too good to be true? A savvy PR machine commodifying self-improvement?” As I’ve learned from Gabby, those questions were my “ego” or my internal voice of fear speaking. And over the years through reading her books, watching her videos, and through conversations at some pivotal moments in my life, I’ve learned she absolutely is the real deal. Her proposals for simple, subtle shifts have yielded significant improvements in all facets of my life.
For example, whenever possible I strive to reset myself mid-week by tuning in for Gabrielle’s Hay House radio show. Afterwards, I always feel sharper mentally, energized, and full of creative juices.
A couple of years ago when I knew I was sabotaging my financial success by failing to negotiate at my edge, I returned to her “Knowing Your Worth” lecture. I got out of my own way and consistently began asking for and receiving the money I deserve.
And perhaps most importantly, after a devastating family loss I did Gabby’s forgiveness meditation. Daily. By the end of two months I not only forgave the people who had hurt me, but I began incorporating radical forgiveness in my leadership and public speaking training. I developed a new keynote around it. It helped trigger the creation of my Step Into Your Moxie platform.
This week Gabby released her third book, May Cause Miracles. As you step into your power in 2013, I can’t think of a better resource to share with you to support your learning, discovery, and achievement.
To invite you further into the world of Gabby, here’s a brief author Q and A. Enjoy.
What inspired you to write May Cause Miracles, Gabby?
I write my books based on what my readers need and want. I was hearing the call from my readers that they wanted a real-deal spiritual plan for dissolving all boundaries and fear. In effect, they wanted to be told exactly how to do it. It was time for me to offer a step-by-step guidebook to help readers release their negativity, achieve more happiness, and experience a greater connection to the universe. It was time.
May Cause Miracles spawned from my own spiritual practice. I begin each day with prayer and meditation. Throughout the day I use affirmations and positive intentions to move through blocks, and each evening I close the day with self-reflection and an inventory of my growth throughout the day. These three steps are offered in each day of this 40-day course.
I believe that simple, consistent shifts in our thinking and actions can lead to the miraculous in all aspects of our daily lives, including our relationships, finances, bodies, and self-image. In my new book, May Cause Miracles, I offer an exciting plan for releasing fear and allowing gratitude, forgiveness, and love to flow through us without fail. All of which, ultimately, will lead to breathtaking lives of abundance, acceptance, appreciation, and happiness. With May Cause Miracles, readers can expect incredible transformation in 40 powerful days, simply by adding up subtle shifts to create miraculous change.
What can people expect from this 40-day guidebook?
The more you choose forgiveness, gratitude and love, the more miracles you experience. If you’re wondering what I mean by “miracle,” it’s simple: a miracle is a shift in perspective from fear to love. A miracle can be the moment you choose to forgive your ex-lover and let go of decades of resentment, or the moment you recognize that losing your job was not a tragedy but an opportunity to follow your true calling. Simply put, each moment you choose love over fear is a miracle. And the more miracles you add up, the less likely you are to perceive life through dark-colored lenses. When you choose to perceive love over fear, life begins to flow. You feel peaceful and you see love in all situations. Your hang-ups subside and your life feels guided.
My dedication to living this way has changed every area of my life. I’ve let go of addictions to romance, drugs, work, food—you name it. I’ve learned to choose forgiveness whenever resentment creeps into my mind. Fear of financial insecurity has lifted and my internal abundance, my zest for living a love-guided life, is reflected in external abundance. Today I see obstacles as opportunities and know that the universe has my back. Most important, I feel a sense of certainty that there is a power greater than myself supporting my every move.
Tell us about the 40-day program. Why was it important to give people a plan?
Like any effective practice, true transformation occurs with daily repetition. Begin with a 40-day commitment and start experiencing positive results immediately. Why 40 days? Metaphysicians and yogis place much emphasis on the repetition of a 40-day practice. Mythical examples range from Moses’s 40 days and 40 nights spent on Mount Sinai to the story of the Buddha reaching enlightenment on the full moon in May after meditating and fasting under the Bodhi tree for 40 days. The number has scientific significance, too: research has shown that after repeating a new pattern for 40 days, you can change the neural pathways in your brain to create long-lasting change. So let’s take a cue from the mystics and the scientists and commit to this 40-day fear cleanse. It’s the simple, consistent shifts that count when you’re making change—so I’ve outlined this journey to be fun and achievable. I will guide you to keep it uncomplicated and stay on track. And one day at a time you’ll become a miracle worker.
By choosing to follow this plan for the next 40 days, you’ll begin to reprogram your thoughts from fear back to love. If you dig the results, stick to the path and commit to a life as a miracle worker.
Most readers come to this kind of work with different types of blocks. How does this book serve everyone?
The really cool thing about May Cause Miracles is that readers can apply the plan to every corner of their lives. The book is divided into six chapters, one for each week. The weekly chapters contain exercises for each day of the week to transform your thoughts back to love. Each week focuses on a different area of your life:
- Week One. This week guides you to identify how fear has tripped you up and blocked your life’s flow. I’ll lay the groundwork and guide you to embrace the key principles: witnessing your fear, willingness to change, shifts in perception, gratitude, forgiveness and miracles.
- Week Two. This week is all about the importance of self-love. You’ll be guided to strengthen your relationship with yourself, and you’ll become willing to release old patterns of self-attack. Self-love is super crucial to the miracle worker practice.
- Week Three. I’ll guide you to focus on how fear has blocked your financial abundance. This week’s exercises activate gratitude for your current workplace, help you address your financial fears and guide you to shift your limiting belief system around money and work. This week is applicable to any type of work, whether you’re a freelancer, a stay-at-home mom, a philanthropist, a banker, a salesperson, and so on. Just apply the principles to whatever work you do.
- Week Four. Romance is in the air! I’ll help you get honest about how fear has held you back from romantic bliss. This week incorporates many rockin’ teachings for releasing fear in romance. These powerful tools will lead you to experience immediate internal shifts around romance, whether you’re single or attached.
- Week Five. I’ll give you practical exercises that shift your patterns of self-sabotage when it comes to food and your body. I will guide you to identify the root cause of your food and body issues and begin to shine light on any darkness in this area of your life. You’ll quickly come to realize that ingesting loving thoughts greatly enhances how you ingest your food and perceive your body.
- Week Six. You’ll learn to embrace the practice of being a miracle worker in the world. This week helps you shift your focus off yourself and on to your power to create energetic change in the world around you. Service is a key principle and is strongly emphasized this week. You’ll come to realize that serving the world is like serving yourself a big, heaping plate of love. When you focus your thoughts and energy lovingly onto others your heart opens and your true purpose shines bright.
Who or what inspires you most?
The people who inspire me most are those who are willing to see the world from a loving perspective. People who perceive obstacles as opportunities and problems as spiritual assignments. People who choose love.
Why do you do what you do?
I’ve worked very hard to transform my fearful delusions into loving beliefs and I am committed to maintaining this way of being. How dare I have the tools for finding serenity and not share them with the world? I believe it is my duty to share these gifts I’ve learned.
To learn more about Gabby and how to allow a miracle mindset to become a way of being, make sure to order your copy of May Cause Miracles using this link. (It entitles you to over a half dozen goodies!)