As I rose from my chair, I could feel sweat collecting at my temples and in my armpits. My chest thumped so quickly I was sure the room of my colleagues could hear it. As I uttered, “Welcome,” my voice began to quaver and I tried to put my attention equally on suppressing my desire to cry and reviewing everything I had learned in my public speaking classes in high school and college. Speak directly to each person in the room. Take a deep breath between sentences. Use your hands to bring your message from your body to your audience. But all I could bring to mind was a vision of my fourth grade self—standing at the front of my classroom—drooling and slurring words as I tried to get through my first current events report. I’m twenty-three years old chairing a friggin staff meeting, I chided myself. I’ve spoken to thousands of people as a motivational speaker. I should have this. But I didn’t.
Have you ever walked into a room and felt so nervous you thought surely you’d vomit in your mouth?
Do you have a powerful story or message you’re yearning to get out in the form of a keynote, seminar or workshop?
Are you ready to stop the 24-7 chatter in your head so that you can hear your authentic voice and take deliberate and successful action from it?
If you answered YES to any of the questions above, take comfort in knowing you’re not alone. Particularly if you are a woman.
Although women have bypassed men in college attendance and graduation, we’ve still got a LONG way to go, baby. We’re 47% of the paid labor force, yet us gals are making a piddly $.75-$.79—depending on which survey you’re down with—to the dollar for equal work. We hold JUST 15% of executive officer and board positions. 1/6 of us have survived sexual abuse. 99.999999% of us look in the mirror and see what’s wrong rather than what’s right.
But rather than focus on the problem, I’m hungry to focus on the solution. That’s where Step Into Your Moxie comes in. It’s comprised of virtual coaching programs and private VIP days for women and men who are ready to listen to their inner voice, sculpt their powerful messages and speak with power and impact each and every time they open their mouths.
So What the Heck is “Moxie”?
Originally patented as medicine in 1876 by Dr. Augustin Thompson, by 1884 it was bottled as our nation’s first soft-drink and served at soda fountains for people who wanted to be endowed with “rugged individualism.” It’s still available from specialty soda vendors today, though now moxie is thought of more as a quality than a beverage. It is synonymous with being daring, having courage and taking risks. There is even a Moxie Girlz doll for young women who want “Positive attitude and confidence. The courage to go for it. Energy in everything you do.”
Although there is no shortage of women and men who have modeled moxie—or products promising to imbue us with the stuff—for the next generation, stepping into our moxie isn’t necessarily easier today than it was just over 100 years ago.
How I Roll
I’ve discovered through my own speaking journey, from working with my women’s studies and public speaking students and through coaching and leading trainings for thousands of women and men that while I can “teach” what “good” communication looks like, simply learning what “to do” rarely creates and sustains change. I can most impact the people I work with by partnering with them to establish where they want to be in their communication and then work backwards with them to develop the mindset, skills, behaviors–and most importantly–personal story of self that is necessary to close the gap.
With over 10-years experience as a public speaker and educator living and teaching heart-centered, high-impact communication principles, I’m committed to helping you find your authentic voice, sculpt your dynamic message and share your power with the world.
If you don’t feel like you have fully embraced your moxie and are finally ready to let go of the reasons—ahem—excuses, real and self-imposed, let’s jam together. We can explore how to:
- Birth presentations, workshops and/or keynotes that highlight your WOW Factor and over deliver on audience expectations (and develop the materials, strategy, and prospect list to get you booked)
- Develop an authentic and winning media presence (i.e., Craft snappy and engaging talking points, rehearse your interview responses, develop on-camera banter, gain control over your non-verbal communication and demystify the media experience)
We can also buff up your muscles at…
- Sales Conversations
- Facilitating Difficult Conversations
- Online and Face-to-Face Training
- Relationship Building/Networking
- Developing a Team/Providing Action-Oriented Feedback
Step Into Your Moxie VIP Days
- 1, 2-hour virtual Skype session with Alexia to establish the focus of the VIP Days, start designing speaking content, and identify opportunities
- 2 consecutive, one-on-one VIP speaker days with Alexia in Las Vegas (8 hours of face-to-face training)
- A 2-night stay at one of Las Vegas’ finest resorts
- Limo service to and from Las Vegas’ McCarran Airport to your hotel
- 3 delicious meals with Alexia
- 1, 60-minute hotel spa treatment
- Professionally designed Speaker One Sheet
- 2, 45-minute follow-up Skype calls with Alexia to cement the talk(s) and booking strategy
- Half a dozen extra goodies to sweeten and simplify your path to being a successful public speaker
While such an experience is a sizeable investment and valued at $17,500, I offer The VIP Days Package for considerably less each year to a handful of business owners and workplace leaders who are ready not only to experience major breakthroughs in their public speaking during our time together, but who also want to be pampered throughout the process, have every detail taken care of for them and want the materials necessary to immediately launch or scale their public speaking careers.
To explore in greater detail and determine if you are a candidate, contact Info@AlexiaVernon.com to set-up a 15-minute Q & A call.
Your Spotlight Talk